Monday, September 29, 2008

Paying Taxes

I don't like paying taxes anymore than the next person, but I pay them because it is my civic duty to do so.

There is an ad on television that comes on almost every evening around news time and my blood pressure rises each time! It shows well-dressed, smiling couples bragging about how much a company called Associated Tax Relief has saved them on their taxes by battling the IRS. The people readily admit that they owed the tax and brag about how little they actually paid. For example, one couple said they owed $ 114,624 but thanks to Associated Tax Relief, they paid only $20,688. That's only 19 cents on the dollar!

I call it cheating and morally irresponsible -- they call it "tax relief."

So I went to the company's website, clicked on the contact tab which opened a contact sheet. I filled in my name, email address, my "problem" (drop down list -- income taxes, estate taxes, payroll taxes, etc. -- I checked "other"), and entered the following comment:

I am outraged that your media advertising glories "beating the system" and not paying 100% of tax owed. It is a shame that people are able to negotiate their way out of paying their fair share. The people in your ads appear proud of not paying their taxes -- what a sad commentary on their moral values and lack of civic responsibility. Please consider using less offensive advertising. People should feel ashamed of this situation, not proud.

If you would like to see the ads and comment on this practice, go to their website.

No comments: